Pages

Friday, October 25, 2013

Review: Almond Eyes by: Terri Kelley


18208024
Sometimes, the things that a child hears about himself or herself is confusing to him or her. That is the case with the young boy in Almond Eyes. As a young child, he is constantly told that he has "beautiful Almond Eyes." He doesn't understand what this means until he asks his mother. She explains that his eyes are shaped like almonds because he is Korean. The boy then notices the different eye shapes of all of his friends. This is a wonderful book about celebrating the differences among friends.




We received this book to give an honest review. 
Let me start with this. The book is awesome. But the cover bothers me only because it shows a child who is sucking on a pacifier. In the story the young boy is going to school but the cover doesn't show that. If I didn't read the blurb I probably wouldn't pick up this book because of the cover. If I was to rate this book just based on the cover I would do a four. But being as my ratings go on the story and not the cover it is a 5 star rating for me.

Now on to the story. I love how this book shows that everyone is different. Everyone has different eyes, and this book shows that. Which I think is perfect for kids to understand. This book was really good for my son being as he is 7 and in the learning stage of how everyone is different with either hair, skin color, now eyes after reading this, people with disabilities. It made talking with my son a lot easier as to why people are different. . After reading Almond Eyes he noticed that everyone has different eye shape and not just eye color. He actually was telling his father about the book.

K's favorite part in the book was everyone's eye shape was different. I think because he has not seen a lot of different eye shapes before. 

The illustrations are perfect I loved every one of them.  Very colorful.

This is a book I would recommend to everyone, because it seems to have a good lesson within it. Everyone is different, and you can become friends with all. 











No comments:

Post a Comment