Pages

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Review: Thank You, Shadow by Terri Kelley


19513712
Having a pet is a wonderful and memorable experience for kids. However, pets don't live forever and children and parents are heartbroken when their beloved pet passes away. In this story, a young boy wakes up in the morning, expecting his best-friend, his dog, Shadow, to be next to him. He discovers that Shadow is missing. Soon, he finds out from his parents that Shadow passed away in the night. The boy experiences grief and goes into mourning. He shares his memories of Shadow and comes to realize that even though it's hard to lose someone you love, it is worth the investment in loving them.

We received this book to give an honest review.
So I didn't read the blurb for this book I just dove right into the story. And in a way I wish I did read the blurb so I knew what I was reading to K. But then again I am glad I didn't. Now you may ask why. K is a very sensitive kid there are some things that get to him and if it has anything to do with animals he is upset. With this story he was into it, but I could tell it bothered him a bit as he asked me what happened to Shadow. And of course I had to re-read the part where is says what happened and it brought back memories of us losing our dog Jazzmine. She was okay one day and sick the next and we took her to the vet so she wouldn't be in pain. It made us feel sad like the young boy within the story, and so it made it easier for us to relate! We get a small lesson from the boys mother as she gives good advice on how to overcome grief of losing someone close.
With Thank you, Shadow we get a young boy's version of what he is going through with the lost of his best friend Shadow. 

This is a great story to read for those that have lost a pet and learn about the grief and mourning that one goes through. They can also learn that they are not the only ones that have to deal with something like that. 

The only problem I have is that I wish the text and pictures would fill my ereader. It was kind of hard to read being as the text only fit into the box of the pictures. If that makes sense. The pictures were clear and were big enough to see. 







No comments:

Post a Comment