Pages

Friday, July 17, 2015

Review: Nate Rocks the Boat (Nate Rocks #2) by Karen Pokras Toz

13614529
Title: Nate Rocks the Boat (book 2)
Author Karen Pokras Toz
Published: April 21, 2012
Publisher Grand Daisy Press
Pages: 142
Genre: Ages 8 on up
Review: Free ebook on Amazon



The Adventure Continues... With fourth grade finally winding down, 10-year-old Nathan Rockledge is looking forward to a fun and relaxing summer at home with his friends. That is, until his mom decides he has to go to overnight camp with his annoying older sister. When his best friend Tommy decides to tag along, Nathan thinks maybe his summer won’t actually be so bad. After all, he does get to be away from his mom's awful cooking for an entire six weeks.

Amongst Color War competitions, a flaky counselor, and a bully named "No-Neck,” Nathan turns to his trusty sketchpad, transforming himself into Nate Rocks: 10-year-old extraordinaire. His speedboat ready for action, Nate saves the day time and again from the perils of floods, snakes, ghosts, and even the most wanted criminals.

Join Nathan, Tommy, Abby, and a whole new cast of characters as Nate Rocks once again proves nothing can hold him back.


So when I saw this book for free on Amazon I figured K would love to read it, it would be a good chapter book. I was wrong, I think this book was a bit much for K as he seemed like he would enjoy it then soon lose interest. I don't believe it to be the book but more of K not liking a book with no pictures, he would still like to read books with pictures in it. 
You have Nate who is going to Summer Camp and of course he is not too excited about that is until he gets there and starts pretty much drawing himself becoming Nate Rocks and saving the day time and time again. There are plenty of activities to keep him busy and enjoying camp.
The author did a great job with Nate's imagination that I wish my own children had one like him, though I am sure after a while you could find yourself in trouble.  There is humor within the story and some giggle moments involving one of the camp counselors which I think kids will like. 
The sibling rivalry between Nate and his older sister Abby had me think of how K and A annoy one another just like these two and I am sure as they both get older they will be doing almost the same things as both of these characters.
I think children who will like adventure and daydreaming would enjoy this book. 
I plan on reading this to K when he is a bit older as I think he may enjoy it a bit more than he did now. 






No comments:

Post a Comment