Pages

Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Review: Mad Scientists: The Not-So-Crazy Work of Amazing Scientists by Sally Lee

18318211Title: Mad Scientists: The Not-So-Crazy- Work of Amazing Scientists
Author: Sally Lee
Published: Jan. 1, 2014
Publisher: Capstone Press
Pages: 32
Genre: Science
Review: Library book
Buy Links: Amazon, Amazon.uk 


Drinking vomit. Breathing poisonous gasses. Creating two headed dogs. These mad acts aren t just the stuff gross out stories and horror movies. They are real things that real scientists have done in the search for scientific answers."


K has decided that he wants to be a scientist when he grows up him and his best friend have both decided this together.
So I saw this book and knew I had to get it because K should see how scientists have came up with their theories. 
I will tell you this if you have a weak stomach do not read this book or if you want to just pass up the parts that will make you hurl.
I started reading this to K and when we got Chapter 3 K was asking me to put down the book he didn't want me to read anymore and of course being the mother I am I continued reading. I told him dude this is how science is discovered you do things to see how it works, or invent something or cure something. 
So we continued, I was very impressed and surprised to learn so much on what certain scientists have done. You have one named Dr. Louise Robinovitch who designed a machine called a defibrillator! How cool is that I never knew who made it let alone how the process came about. We also learn how one scientist named Stubbins Ffirth tried to figure out how yellow fever was passed even though he didn't discovery it that credit goes to someone else. 
There is a lot more within this book and I have to give this book more than five stars both K and I learned a lot from this book. 
Also you get definitions on certain words which is excellent because K would ask me what does this mean or that mean and I was able to tell him. 
I recommend this book to kids and adults to read I would give the ages to maybe 7 on up. Just depends on your child. 




Sally Lee
Sally Lee is the author of numerous nonfiction books for readers from kindergarten through high school. Her interest in children’s literature began at the University of Missouri where she received her degree in education. Her years of teaching gave her desire to help children learn. When she left the classroom to raise her own son and daughter, writing nonfiction became a way to continue educating children. Her favorite part of writing nonfiction is doing research. It reminds her of a treasure hunt, especially when it uncovers off-beat facts that nobody else knows. It also satisfies her own curiosity about the world. Sally and her husband live in Dallas, Texas, with their children and grandchildren nearby.

No comments:

Post a Comment