Pages

Wednesday, March 9, 2016

NetGalley Review: The Gallaudet Children's Dictionary of American Sign Language By the Editors of Gallaudet University Press

22529080Title: The Gallaudet Children's Dictionary of American Sign Language
Author: The Editors of Gallaudet University Press
Published: Oct. 31, 2014
Publisher: Gallaudet University Press
Pages: 384
Review: ebook provided by NetGalley and publisher
Buy Links: Amazon, Amazon.uk




Featuring more than 1,000 ASL signs arranged alphabetically by English terms, entertaining color illustrations, practice sentences, and a DVD of all signs, this volume stands alone as the best ASL reference for deaf and hearing children alike.

We received this book via NetGalley to give an honest review. 

So when A was 6 months old I started teaching her sign language it wasn't much just a few words that I knew to sign. I stopped when she fully started talking around 1-1 1/2 I wish I didn't though as I think she would have loved to sign a whole lot more.
Then I saw this book on NetGalley and I loved that it was for children that would totally work to teach A. Now I believe this book would be better for some in the form of a hardback or paperback so the pictures will be bigger to see.
I sat with A and we started working through the pages and signing she was having a ball learning signs. I think this is a great book to have and teach kids how they can sign and if they come across someone who is deaf  or hard of hearing they can maybe communicate with them or at least try. 
Some of the signs were hard to see to sign them so I would just look them up online and got it down. I do believe I will be looking into buying the book to have on the shelf so I can teach myself and A a little bit more. 
I also enjoyed how it is in alphabetical order and there are more than just a few words in it. I was thinking that they would only have a few words per page but no there are tons of it and it was awesome plain and simple. Now it not only has how you sign but what word you are signing and pictures to go with it which is neat. 
It says there is a DVD included but I did not receive one with the digital copy. 
Overall this was a great book to learn from and one I highly recommend. 






No comments:

Post a Comment